Mason Greenwood told to stay away from Manchester United until club conducts own investigation after CPS drops charges
MASON Greenwood has been told to stay away from Manchester United until the club decides what to do with him.
The 21-year-old had charges of attempted rape, controlling and coercive behaviour and assault all against the same woman dropped today.
But the club now wants to conduct its own internal investigation into the circumstances around the allegations brought against the player.
That has started and United has not put a time frame on how long it will take.
They did not want to begin that process previously in case it interfered with ongoing criminal proceedings.
In the meantime, Greenwood will not be able to return to the club’s Carrington Training base or be involved with the squad in any capacity, despite the case against him not going to trial.
His name has remained on Man Utd’s first-team squad list on its official website, a possible indication he could resume his football career.
The player broke his silence on the charges being dropped in a statement issued on Thursday.
Greenwood said: “I am relieved that this matter is now over and I would like to thank my family, loved ones and friends for their support.
“There will be no further comment at this time.”
Greenwood last appeared in court in November where a trial date was set for November 23 this year.
The alleged offences related to one woman and were said to have taken place between November 1, 2018, and October 15, 2022.
Greenwood was accused of “repeatedly engaging” in controlling and coercive behaviour for almost four years – including making threats and derogatory comments on social media.
He was also charged with attempting to rape the woman on October 21, 2021, and allegedly assaulted her between December 12, 2021, and December 31, 2021.
The footballer was originally remanded in custody after being charged by police on October 15.
But a judge released him on the condition he does not contact witnesses, including the complainant, and resides at an address in Bowdon.
The striker also spent three nights in custody after he was arrested at his £15,000-a-month rented home in Trafford last January.
He was suspended from Utd but still received his £75,000-a-week salary.
Greenwood was removed from FIFA 22 and dropped by sponsors Nike in the wake of the allegations.
Football Manager 2022 also confirmed he would not feature in the game.
All merchandise bearing the No11’s name was axed from the official Utd site and teammates unfollowed him on Instagram.
Greenwood last played for the Red Devils on January 22 last year when the team beat West Ham 1-0.
The player joined the club aged just six and rose through the ranks to land himself a regular spot on the first team.
In 2019, he became the youngest footballer to play for United in the Champions League when he took to the pitch aged 17.
Greenwood has made 129 appearances in total for the Red Devils and netted 35 goals.
In 2020, England manager Gareth Southgate gave the striker his first cap when Greenwood came off the bench in a 1-0 win against Iceland.
Greenwood missed out on last year’s Three Lions’ World Cup campaign in Qatar as the case went to court.
Denial of responsibility! Planetconcerns is an automatic aggregator around the global media. All the content are available free on Internet. We have just arranged it in one platform for educational purpose only. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email – [email protected]. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.