Mason Greenwood return could see Man Utd staff ‘resign’ as workers furious following meeting with club chiefs
MASON Greenwood’s possible return could see Manchester United staff “resign” amid “intense” meetings.
Members of the club have reportedly blasted plans to bring the 21-year-old striker back onto the first team.
Inside sources claimed talks with Man Utd chiefs became heated after some staff felt “ashamed” and threatened to “resign” over Greenwood’s potential return.
Others are in the midst of planning a strike should the young striker be reintegrated, sources claimed.
As reported by The Athletic, United’s chief executive Richard Arnold has hosted several discussions to plan the footballers comeback- which was previously set to be announced on August 4 before being scrapped.
It is not known why the statement was dropped but speculation suggests sponsors, the fan’s advisory board, the women’s team and major stakeholders may have played a part.
Manchester United Women’s team have reportedly raised concerns about the prospect of Greenwood returning to the training ground.
Natalie Burrell, founder of Manchester United’s Women’s Supporters’ Club, said the footballer’s presence in the team would “destroy” the club.
Meanwhile protests were staged at Old Trafford before United’s opening match of the season against Wolverhampton Wanderers on Monday.
And, Countdown co-host Rachel Riley has also vowed to stop supporting United if they welcome back Greenwood.
Rachel, 37, was responding to broadcast comments from another female United fan, named Em, saying she would “walk away from my club” if he returned.
A final decision is due to be made over the weekend by Richard Arnold, however the announcement will be delayed until after the Lionesses World Cup final against Spain on Sunday.
A source said: “This has been a long and difficult process for everyone involved, but it’s nearing the end.
“The internal investigation is over and Mason is likely to be reinstated at Old Trafford.
“He’s made no secret of his desire to to get back to doing what he does best.
“He’s already got the backing of the players and manager Erik ten Hag. He’s just waiting for the green light.”
In a statement released on Wednesday, the club said it was “in the final stages” of announcing a decision.
It said the “fact-finding phase” of the probe had been completed, but no final decision had yet been made.
The striker has not played for Manchester United since he was arrested in January last year.
He was later charged with attempted rape, assault and controlling and coercive behaviour, before the charges were dropped in February.
Meanwhile, Utd conducted their own investigation into the allegations.
However, since all charges were dropped, Greenwood has been desperate to rebuild his life and wants to resume his footie career at Old Trafford.
The 21-year-old was suspended on full pay of £75,000 a week and has been training alone – following drills drawn up by United’s coaching staff.
His last game was on January 22, 2022, in a Premier League clash against West Ham United, which United won 1-0.
Denial of responsibility! Planetconcerns is an automatic aggregator around the global media. All the content are available free on Internet. We have just arranged it in one platform for educational purpose only. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email – [email protected]. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.