" /> " />

Can I be fined for putting a ‘for sale’ sign on my car?


DRIVERS can actually be fined for putting a “for sale” on their car – but it depends on a local council’s by-laws.

It can lead to sellers being given a hefty fine.


Private car sellers could be landed with a fine for advertising their vehicle for sale on some streetsCredit: Getty

Can I be fined for putting a ‘for sale’ sign on my car?

Car sellers can fall foul of two laws.

Under one, it is an offence to have two or more cars for sale within 500 metres of each other, but you can avoid a £2,500 fine by proving you are not a business.

The other regulation is a street-trading law that makes it an offence to offer a car for sale in certain roads.

The regulations were introduced to stop dealers using streets as car showrooms, and councils can also ban car sales in car parks.

Joanne Lezemore, a spokesperson for the Which? Legal Service, said: “Having a ‘for sale’ sign in your car isn’t an offence in every street, but the rules are confusing.

“If you want to park in a street with a ‘for sale’ notice in your car, check with the council.”

What is the best way to sell my car?

This rather depends if you are in a hurry or just want a hassle-free sale.

The easiest way to sell your car is to trade it in when you buy a new one or to sell it to a car buying service, according to the AA, but you won’t get the best possible price for the vehicle.

Selling privately should get you more cash, assuming you can find a buyer, but won’t be as convenient and will probably take longer.

However you sell your car you will need to get it in the best possible condition – presentation, mechanical condition and service history can all make the difference.

  • Clean it inside and out and make sure that it’s generally tidy
  • Repair minor paintwork damage or simple mechanical faults
  • Get a new MOT, particularly if there’s less than three months on the current one.
  • Consider a full, professional valet service – it’ll save you time and can really make a difference
You'll need to have all the car's paperwork ready when you want to sell


You’ll need to have all the car’s paperwork ready when you want to sellCredit: Getty

What paperwork do I need to sell my car?

Logbook – also known as the V5C document – to inform the DVLA you’ve sold your car

Proof of reservation and purchase – two copies, one for you and one for the buyer

Service history – to show your car’s fully maintained and boost confidence

MOT certificate – to prove your car’s roadworthy, nowadays this can be checked online

Insurance policy – to cancel your insurance cover

Car warranty – to inform the company about change in ownership

Car parts receipts – for the buyer to keep

Don’t provide the buyer with the documents or let them take photos before the sale is complete.

Couple fined by local council for pulling in to let on-coming cars through outside​ ​Swanscombe school

Source link

Denial of responsibility! Planetconcerns is an automatic aggregator around the global media. All the content are available free on Internet. We have just arranged it in one platform for educational purpose only. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email – [email protected]. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Leave a comment